Sunday, December 12, 2010


This is my Aunt Rolane's story about a part of her childhood.

I remember when I was a small child, we lived on a farm way out in the middle of nowhere.  There were potato fields for as far as you could see.  We had one car and we didn't go to town very often.  One day we got to go to town and we loaded into the car.  Mom wore peddle pushers (capri pants) and slip on tenny shoes.  As mom got into the car, a mouse ran up her ankle and into her pant leg.  She was screaming and twitching her leg trying to get the mouse out of her pant leg.  It was so funny.  She, of course didn't think it was quite as funny.

In this same house we had a bunch of chickens so we could have fresh eggs for breakfast.  We also had a cow that dad would milk.  Her name was "Bossy".  My brother Vonny (LaVon) had cancer and the treatment was steroid shots which make the whole body swell up and he looked very fat.  It was hard for him to run.  At this time Vonny was 3 years old.  We had one old rooster that was mean.  One day he pecked Vonny on the forehead and made him bleed.  This made my mom cry because Vonny was already so sick.  My dad came home and found mom crying. She told him what had happened.  Dad was so mad at that rooster.  He chased that rooster around the yard cussing and swearing.  The longer he chased, the madder he got.  He finally caught that rooster and rung his neck.  He handed that rooster to mom and told we would be having chicken for dinner.  Vonny died later that year.

My Grandma and Grandpa Goff had a very hard life.  They lived near Rexburg at Lorenzo.  Their house was about 800 square feet.  They heated the house with a wood burning kitchen stove.  They had electricity but no furnace.  I remember grandma being 80 years old and going out in the middle of winter to chop wood for the wood stove.  They had a 5 acre garden and canned everything for use in the winter.  They also had some fruit trees.  Grandpa would get very mad at us if we ate the fruit off those trees.  Grandpa had no teeth and would eat the onions out of the field like an apple.  Slicing them and eating.  They always had Brach's candy in the closet for us to eat.

Grandma and Grandpa Doane were always the more gentle grandparents.  Grandpa died when I was only 5 and I only have one memory of him sitting in the chair in the living room.  Grandma was very sweet and loving.  I remember she had the softest skin and she wore a perfume called "Soft Shoulders".  I loved to watch her make Cinnamon Rolls from scratch.  I still love making them myself.  Grandma lived with my Uncle Charles' family in Salt Lake after living in Rupert for years.  Later she got an apartment of her own about a block away from them.  She collected salt and pepper shakers that were all kinds of shapes like children and animals. Once my parents let me stay at Uncle Charles house and they went home.  I was less than 10 years old.  Grandma took all us girls to downtown  SLC on the bus to watch the movie, The Sound of Music. The theatre had red velvet drapes that hung from the floor to the ceiling.  I had never seen such elegance.  It was so cool to sit in seats that flip up and didn't have holes in the seats with gum stuck to the under side.  It was such an exciting day.  We had a theatre in Paul but it was very run down and it was missing seats and they used folding chairs.  At the end of the week, my Aunt and Uncle put me on a Greyhound bus for home.  It was a 10 hour ride.  I was really scared to ride the bus by myself.  My Uncle Charles went on the bus with me and told the bus driver to let me sit right behind him and he told him the he was responsible for me safe arrival at the bus terminal in Rupert.  I was so happy to see my mom waiting to pick me up.


No comments:

Post a Comment